Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Shepherded in the Wilderness

Last Wednesday I came home to Elsie holding Christian. Evidently, his skin just erupted into a sudden rash, which has persisted even until tonight. That helpless feeling suddenly washed over me again. Elsie and I both went back to seeking the Lord knowing that was the answer as opposed to succumbing to despair. God answered both of us.

What God told Elsie:  persevere

What God told me:  rest

This morning I went running. I took a more scenic route that hugged some protected prairie lands. During my runs I try be silent and listen for God's voice, but this morning I was in more of a state of crying out to God, asking specifically about Christian. Plodding along, it was all I could do to keep my mind off this issue, and I slowly came up to something I've never seen before along this path. Squinting without the help of my glasses, I initially thought I was approaching two big sheep dogs. I was partially right in my estimation, as I finally realized there were two lost sheep that somehow found their way to the wrong side of the fence. I stopped to snap this photo. They were not far from the flock and the two burros that were supposed to be guarding them, but they were heading the wrong way. I don't know what happened to these aimless sheep without a shepherd - I'm sure a good Samaritan called the right people and got them to their home, but right then and there the Lord spoke to me. Jesus reminded me that He is our Good Shepherd, and He will take care of us. I realized that I was still unwilling to let go of control over certain areas of Christian's life. I immediately repented of that, but God wanted to remind me more about His role as the Shepherd. Not only does He guard His flock, but He cares for each sheep intimately, not wanting to let even one wander away and get lost (let alone two sheep, who looked like they were up to some shenanigans). Did I trust God to be the one to care for Christian? I feel like I have come a long way in that now I say I can trust Him wholeheartedly with my son's life and health. And part of trusting in Him is resting in Him, which is what He was asking me to do regarding Christian.

Later this morning I told Elsie this story (I had to run home to change a flat tire on the van), and she was then led to Psalm 78, which is basically a retelling of Exodus, the wilderness, and the Israelites moving into the promised land. It ends describing King David as one of Israel's shepherds, and the idea of Israel being shepherded is a common theme throughout the chapter.



    

52 But he brought his people out like a flock;
he led them like sheep through the wilderness.
53 He guided them safely, so they were unafraid;
    but the sea engulfed their enemies.

-Psalm 78:52-53



This idea of God being our shepherd is nothing new to the Christian walk, but Elsie reminded me of something very important about the Exodus-to-the-Promised-Land Story. God brought the Israelites out of Egypt with a "mighty hand and an outstretched arm." There was no doubting the wonders and miracles He did, just as there was no doubting the wonders He performed in Christian's body over this last year. However, the Israelites remained untrusting of God for some reason. As soon as they encountered adversity, they shrank and defamed God's character by exclaiming how He brought them out to the wilderness to die. They also believed that God could not deliver them again. I do not want to be like them as we are facing this adversity. I want to remain stalwart in my faith, holding on to God's promises and the truth of His character - that He is categorically good, and is our Good Shepherd who guides us through the wilderness and delivers us to streams of living water (Psalm 23). I believe that the promise land for us at this time is a place where both of our children can and will eat the fat of the land to their hearts' delight. I plan to see that promised land with my own eyes.

For now I will rest like Noah rested in Him.

Note:  I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but I couldn't find any 'flat tire' references in the Bible. Last Wednesday when this whole rash thing started I blew out my bicycle tire on the way home from work. Today (Wednesday), our van got a flat tire. . . You know what they say about coincidences.

No comments:

Post a Comment